Kippers are a type of smoked fish popular in many parts of the world. They are known for their strong, distinct flavor and are often enjoyed for breakfast or snacks. If you’re a fan of kippers, you may be wondering how to cook kippers in microwave or in the most efficient and convenient way possible. Luckily, cooking kippers in the microwave is a quick and easy method that requires minimal preparation.
In this article, we’ll take you through the steps on how to cook kippers in microwave using simple language and easy-to-follow instructions. In addition, this article will teach you how to prepare kippers quickly regardless of your cooking experience or desire to appreciate this delicious fish more quickly. So, grab your kippers, and let’s get started on this simple and hassle-free cooking method!
Table of Contents
Are Kippers Good for You?
Kippers are a type of fish known for their strong and smoky flavor. They are delicious broiled, baked, or smoked and are often eaten for breakfast. But are kippers good for you?
The answer is yes! Kippers are a great protein source, an essential nutrient your body needs to build and repair tissues. Your hair, skin, and nails can’t look and stay healthy without protein.
Kippers are rich in heart- and brain-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3s have also been linked to lowered blood pressure, decreased inflammation, and elevated good cholesterol levels.
Kippers are rich in vitamin D, essential for proper calcium absorption and bone health. In addition, vitamin D helps keep your immune system healthy and keeps cells growing and dividing correctly. However, the high sodium content of kippers can cause hypertension and other health issues if eaten in excess.
However, it’s important to note that kippers can be high in sodium, leading to high blood pressure and other health problems if consumed excessively. As with any meal, kippers have their place in a healthy diet. But they should be eaten in moderation and with other nutritious options.
How to Cook Kippers in Microwave
Cooking kippers in the microwave is a quick and easy process that can be completed in just a few minutes. Here are the steps you can follow:
1. Prepare the kippers
Before cooking, remove any packaging and rinse the kippers in cold water. Pat them dry with paper towels and lay them on a microwave-safe dish. For extra flavor, you can also sprinkle some lemon juice or black pepper on the kippers.
2. Microwave the kippers
Place the dish with the kippers in the microwave and cook on high power for 2-3 minutes. The cooking time may vary depending on the wattage of your microwave, so it’s best to start with 2 minutes and check the kippers for doneness. The kippers should be hot all the way through and flaky but not dry or overcooked.
3. Serve and enjoy
Once the kippers are cooked, carefully remove them from the microwave and serve them with your favorite sides or toppings. For example, you can enjoy kippers with bread, butter, eggs, or other accompaniment.
That’s it! With these simple steps, you can cook kippers in the microwave and enjoy a delicious seafood dish in no time. It’s important to pay attention to your microwave’s wattage and to prepare the food appropriately so that it’s not too hot to handle.
How Long to Cook Kippers in Microwave
You can cook kippers in a microwave in minutes, making it a convenient and time-saving option. Your kippers’ size and thickness and the power of your microwave will determine the exact cooking time. When microwaving kippers, keep in mind these general time guidelines:
Start with 2-3 minutes on high power for small to medium-sized kippers. Check the kippers after 2 minutes to see if they are hot and flaky. If they need more time, continue cooking in 30-second increments until they are fully cooked.
For larger kippers, or if you prefer them well-done, you may need to cook them for 4-5 minutes on high power. Then, again, check them after 4 minutes and continue cooking in 30-second increments as needed.
It’s important to note that overcooking kippers in the microwave can result in dry, rubbery fish. It’s better to err on caution and undercook them slightly, as they will continue to cook and heat up as they rest.
The key to cooking kippers in the microwave is to be patient and check them frequently to avoid overcooking. You can determine the optimal cooking time for your particular microwave and kippers with a little practice.
How to Cook Kippers Without the Smell
Cooking kippers can be delicious, but the strong fishy smell can linger in your kitchen and home for days. If you want to avoid the smell of cooking kippers, here are some tips:
- Cook outside: If you can access an outdoor grill or stovetop, cook your kippers outside to prevent the smell from permeating your home.
- Cook in the microwave: Microwaving kippers is a quick and easy way to cook them without producing too much odor.
- Ventilate your kitchen: Open windows, use a fan or turn on the exhaust fan in your kitchen to help remove the fishy smell.
- Use an air purifier: An air purifier can aid in the removal of cooking aromas and keep your home feeling fresh.
- Soak the kippers in milk: Soaking kippers in milk for a few hours before cooking can help neutralize the fishy odor.
- Cook with herbs and spices: You can lessen the scent of fish and give your kippers more flavor by adding spices and herbs like garlic, dill, parsley, lemon, or garlic.
How to Store and Reheat Microwaved Kippers
If you have leftover microwaved kippers, storing them properly is important to maintain their flavor and texture. Here’s how to store and reheat microwaved kippers:
- Cool the kippers: Let the kippers cool down to room temperature before storing them. This will prevent them from becoming mushy or losing their flavor.
- Store in the fridge: Put the kippers in an airtight container. Then, store them in the fridge for about 2 days. Ensure the container is tightly sealed to prevent any odors from seeping in and affecting the taste of the kippers.
- Reheat in the microwave: When you want to eat leftover kippers, you can reheat them in a microwave. Put the kippers on a microwave-safe plate. Then, heat them on high heat for about 1-2 minutes; this depends on the kippers’ size. Check them frequently to avoid overcooking.
- Serve and enjoy: Once the kippers are hot all the way through, remove them from the microwave and serve them with your favorite sides or toppings.
It’s important to note that reheating kippers in the microwave may result in slightly drier fish than freshly cooked kippers. To help prevent this, add a small amount of water or butter to the dish before reheating or wrap the kippers in damp paper towels.
What to Serve With Microwaved Kippers?
Microwaved kippers can make for a quick and easy breakfast or meal, but what should you serve with them? Here are some simple and delicious ideas:
- Toast: Toast is a classic side dish for kippers. Spread some butter or cream cheese on your toast for extra flavor.
- Eggs: Kippers and eggs go well together. You can fry, scramble, or poach eggs to serve alongside your kippers.
- Grilled Tomatoes: Grilled or roasted tomatoes add freshness and acidity to the smoky flavor of kippers.
- Baked Beans: Baked beans are a popular side dish for breakfast in the UK and pair well with kippers.
- Steamed Vegetables: If you to make your meal more nutritious, you can add some steamed vegetables like spinach, asparagus, or broccoli.
- Potatoes: Kippers also go well with potatoes. You can serve them mashed, boiled, or roasted.
- Lemon: A squeeze of lemon juice over the kippers can add some zing and cut through the richness of the fish.
Learning how to cook kippers in microwave is a convenient and hassle-free method anyone can try at home. You can have a tasty meal ready in minutes with just some simple steps. However, remember to be careful when handling hot food from the microwave, and enjoy your delicious kippers with your favorite sides or toppings. With the steps outlined in this article, you can master cooking kippers in the microwave and impress your friends and family with your culinary skills. So, give it a try and enjoy a quick and delicious seafood dish today!